Posted - 15 May 2018 : 22:47:01
| Hi everybody
Here are the brief results from the 25th Anniversary NSRA Nostalgia Nationals at Santa Pod, on 11th – 13th May. This event was Wild Bunch Series Round 1, Spirit of Nostalgia Challenge Round 2 and Roy Wilding Nostalgia Race Cars Round 1.
The Wild Bunch had a grand total of 27 teams participating in the event with 21 taking part in the rounds on Sunday, and it was a great weekend! Friday was a test day and at least 10 drivers took the opportunity to run their cars. The weather was cool but dry. Saturday started well, though cool again and we got one run in during the morning, as a group, and were queued for the second early afternoon when it started to drizzle. This didn’t let up so all went back the pits. More rain arrived so sadly that was it for the day. Thankfully, the weather improved Sunday and just got better throughout the day! We had 4 great rounds of racing!! 11 drivers had Personal Best ET’s and 7 Personal Best Speeds! Some set and re-set these over the weekend. The track crews worked hard again so huge thanks to all the marshals and officials and everyone at Santa Pod for all their hard work this weekend! Thanks also the NSRA for all their hard work and Congratulations on their 25th year of the event!!
Here are the results:
1st Place: Phil James in “Rampage” .0584 average
2nd Place: Keith Crampton in “Soul Town Shaker” .0797 average
3rd Place: Rob & Pete Brown in “Wrathchild” .0985 average
4th Place: Pete Huckle in “The Jagster”.1884 average
Here are the Spot Prizes that were awarded:-
Closest to Dial-in: Terry Clifford in “Ratcatcher Resurrection” .005 off
Most Improved E.T.: Steve Bingham in “Sneaky Blinder” 1.29 second improvement (!)
Best Reaction: Mick Hillier in “Texas Ranger” .051
Best Slingshot: Russ Heaven in “Tight Fit”
Best Altered: Steve Bingham in “Sneaky Blinder”
Best Burnout: Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II”
Best Appearing Car: Pete & Rob Brown in “Wrathchild”
Best Appearing Team: Chris Manning & Team with “The Villain”
NSRA Prize for the “Quickest Wild Bunch”: Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” 7.861
The full line-up was:
• Bob Morgan in “B-Sting” (had a few issues, but starting to get a handle on things by 3rd round)
• Jim Tanner in “Shindigger” (first time out in WB competition with the blower, great PB!)
• Pete & Rob Brown in “Wrathchild” (improvement from both boys, who had a great weekend! .10 on last round; straight back into the Top 4)
• Mark Coulsell in “Ballbreaker” (excellent to see a low 8-second PB and stonking burnouts & runs!)
• Philippa Turton in “Bitchcraft” (real shame she couldn’t run due to gearbox problem, best of luck!)
• Bradley Cooper in “Back from the Past” (2 great weekends in a row for the team led by BDRHoF Honoree Ken! Good luck with the improvements!)
• Terry Clifford in “Ratcatcher Resurrection” (awesome to see new PB & 3 8-second big breakouts, plus a most fabulous back up girl!!)
• Mick Hillier in “Texas Ranger” (some starting issues, but ran strongly on a couple of runs)
• Phil James in “Rampage” (first runs on brand new axle and tyres, and consistent straight away for the Win!! Congratulations!!)
• Steve Bingham in “Sneaky Blinder” (great looking team package and display, big PB’s, great weekend for the team!!)
• Phil Sweeney in “California Dreamin” (good to see the team back out, good solid first round run)
• Alan Lloyd in “Gonzo the Great” (fantastic burnouts, dry hops & tyreshaking wheels up launches & 8.3’s! Really entertaining!)
• Didier Canicave in “Folie Douce” (Bienvenue Didier & Francoise all the way from France! Really enjoyed their racing with the Wild Bunch! Love to have you racing with us! A bientot!)
• Chris Manning in “The Villain” (awesome looking car and team, great run in the 7’s again! Fantastic!)
• Russ Heaven in “Tight Fit” (ran well, couple PB’s though dizzy trouble towards the end, good weekend overall)
• Skippy & JJ in “Cheap Thrills” (four 9.7s on the Friday, PB’s for both drivers, and a really strong performance, well done to all the team!!)
• Darryl Howells in “Chemical Reaction” (unfortunate starter engagement problems Sunday, better luck next time Shag)
• Mick Gleadow in “Jurassic Parts 2” (real shame about the transmission problems, best of luck!)
• Andy Jackson in “Hammerman II” (trying hard to get the classic unusual combo working, good luck!)
• Steve Field in “Black Pig Too” (great burnouts and a strong 8-second first round)
• Andy Stones in “Stoned” (team enjoying their racing with two new crew, car sounds strong)
• Keith Crampton in “Soul Town Shaker” (welcome back 10-second Keith, .008 on the last round, strong early performance into the Top 4!)
• Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” (spectacular speed on his first Nitro powered run! Best of luck with the repairs Bob!)
• Peter Huckle in “The Jagster” (great new team & outfits, having fun, good performance, Top 4 on his first time of trying! Welcome to all the team!)
• Matt Fuller in “Oblivion” (great first round on Sunday, best of luck to the whole team!)
• Paul Bambrick in “American Pie” (fantastic to see this car back out running on Saturday, hope to see you again soon)
• James Auld in “Little Fauss” (the little old 1972 RED done good, finished 5th, good performance!)
Also, Chris Swinchatt brought the team’s “Przym Altered” and was able to get some important jobs completed including tech-wise, but unfortunately driver Chris was unable to make the event in the end. Kev Preston was out testing in the "Valkyrie" altered on Saturday. Steven & Ellie East brought their “Ellie’s in Trouble Now” slingshot to the track but were unable to take part due to a few issues, but were very cheerful and did a sterling job of cheering on the Bunch!
The large number of PB’s included:
Jim Tanner in the newly blown “Shindigger” 9.565 / 143.84
Pete Brown in “Wrathchild” 10.728
Rob Brown in “Wrathchild” 10.761
Mark Coulsell in “Ballbreaker” 8.393
Terry Clifford in “Ratcatcher Resurrection” 8.899
Steve Bingham in “Sneaky Blinder” 11.462 / 111.52 (over a second off previous PB!)
Alan Lloyd in “Gonzo the Great” equalled his PB 8.323
Chris Manning in “The Villain” 171.10 mph (great run and his second ever 7, with a 7.996!)
Russ Heaven in “Tight Fit” 151.59 mph
JJ in “Cheap Thrills” 9.831 / 135.77 (well done 9-second Grandad!)
Skippy in “Cheap Thrills” 9.664
Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” 211.01 mph! (Wow!!) A new WB Speed record!
Peter Huckle in “The Jagster” 10.287 / 128.37
James Auld in “Little Fauss” 12.666
(Please do shout out if I’ve missed any!!)
Big Congratulations to all these teams on their achievements!! A fantastic start to your season!!
Commiserations this weekend go to Philippa & Mark Turton who had gearbox trouble in the “Bitchcraft” slingshot coupe, Mick Hillier with starting and battery problems in the “Texas Ranger” altered, Didier Canicave who had a brake problem in “Folie Douce”, Russ Heaven with distributor trouble in “Tight Fit”, Skippy pulling a red light in “Cheap Thrills” on the last round after leading after the other three, Darryl Howells who had starter motor engagement trouble in “Chemical Reaction”, Mick Gleadow who had transmission woes in “Jurassic Parts 2”, Andy Jackson with issues with the sidewinder motor in “Hammerman II”, Bob Hawkins who bent 6 valves and did other damage in the “Time Traveller II” slingshot. Hope they can all get fixed and be back out real soon!! Very Best of luck folks!!
Also, a very special message! Many Congratulations to Chris & Tania Manning who are celebrating their 25th Anniversary this week!! Have a great one folks!!
Highlights of the weekend included the large field of great quality cars, some great match racing, all the brilliant cars and people, and most of all, a fantastic show from all of the Wild Bunch!!
It was a great ‘Nostalgias Nationals’ to celebrate the NSRA’s 25th Anniversary of the event and the first ever one at Santa Pod! Thanks again to everyone at Santa Pod and the NSRA for all their hard work. Many Congratulations to all those who ran great PB’s at the weekend and all our prize winners! Well done to all the Wild Bunch teams, who put on a fabulous show this weekend. An excellent group of cars and people!!
See you at the next drags!
PS. I love my new camper!! :-) Once again many thanks to all who put in to the collection the Wild Bunch did for me at last year’s Dragstalgia, which was much appreciated, as I have now spent the money on some bits for the camper! Cheers everyone!! Claire