Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willys
Non Member

Netherlands
77 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  18:25:53  Show Profile
What kind of tyres (slicks) can i put on this rims: American racing rims diameter:40cm and wight:28 cm

Edited by - willys on 14 Jan 2013 21:17:22

willys
Non Member

Netherlands
77 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  21:19:05  Show Profile
Nobody?
Go to Top of Page

teamtwisted
WB Member

516 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  07:27:42  Show Profile  Visit teamtwisted's Homepage
I think you need to measure the bead seat to bead seat, from what you have written it looks they are either 15 or 16 inches by 10 or 11 inches, I'm sure you know that 15 by 10 inches is very popular, so they are probably 15s.

Once inch is 2.54 centimetres, so maybe you can re-measure and check it out.

www.teamtwisted.co.uk
www.belle-designs.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

willys
Non Member

Netherlands
77 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  16:37:56  Show Profile
Then it is 15 x 11 inch
Go to Top of Page

willys
Non Member

Netherlands
77 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  08:34:22  Show Profile
No one?
Go to Top of Page

kiwicar
Non Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  14:26:35  Show Profile
Hi
Ok I'll have a go, my understanding from the santapod rule book is you can go + or - 1" from rim width, so for a 10" to 12" wide slick . . . are you running MSA events? Some classes I believe restrict you to a 10" maximum tread width, but I have no idea which ones apart from one of the ford mustang 5.0l classes in the US. I was also told early on that for a small block engine with less than 4" stroke and without a blower you want to have a diamiter below 32" otherwise it is a pig to get them to burn out cleanly and launch the car properly. However this might all be in the context of running the "9" rule on the transmission and final drive . . ie that on a small block with a 3.75" throw crank you want first gear ratio times final drive ratio to be as close as possable but less than 9:1. For mine I have a 1.8 first and a 4.11 final drive that is 7.4 (this is a bit high but it wil get a blower later) where as I could have gone 4.56 times 1.8 which is 8.2:1 but that would have meant I would have had to go to bigger tyres sooner if I had tuned it. For a 3.5" throw crank it is 9.5 and for a 4" crank you aim for 8.5 or lower. I am pretty sure the rule applies for 3 speed transmissions aswell and works for big blocks up to about 4.25" bore. This is just stuff I have picked up on forums and books and people who are kind enough to give me "pointers". I have as yet no practical knowladge as to weather this works, but I have used it for many of the decisions on my car and when talking to people I think know their stuff about the decisions I have made they do not laugh at me (well not out loud )
Best regards
Mike

another year older not much wiser
Go to Top of Page

willys
Non Member

Netherlands
77 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  18:25:59  Show Profile
Thanks for the repley
I want to drive at Santa Pod and i drive a front engine dragster with a 440 ci big block aprox 600hp
What will be the best tyres for the dragster?
Go to Top of Page

kiwicar
Non Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  11:06:05  Show Profile
Hi
I think you want to run 12" wide slicks 34" diamiter tyres(big block with a 3.75" crank) and final drive x first gear ratio of about 8.5 or 9, but that is just from my research, I do not know because I have not run that engine. . . are you runnig a 3 speed transmission? if so you should have first gear of about 2.36:1 so you want final drive ratio of about 3.6:1 to 3.8:1 I would go with the 3.8:1, you will want to have the torque converter stall at or close to peak torque revs (3500 to 4200 revs?) but these are starting numbers from what I have read, if you have a 'glide for instance you may want a final drive ratio closer to 4:1 and a looser torque converter.
I am running 32" by 14" slicks, a 4.11 final drive a powerglide with 1.8:1 first and a 3.75" crank, but only 383cui similar power on methanol but on a 5500 stall converter, I think my engine will rev much higher than yours (I hope beyond 7500 revs). Sorry I cannot be very definate here, I am just starting out myself and I have only the knowladge I have read and been told, I have only built the 1 dragster and I have not raced it yet.
Best regards
Mike

Go to Top of Page

kiwicar
Non Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  13:54:37  Show Profile
Hi
I am sorry to keep waffeling on about final drive ratios, first gear ratios, torque converters and gearing "rules" when you have asked about tyres. However the one thing I did come across again and again is that although each effects a different aspect of how the Dragster behaves as it accelerates all of these interact with each other and you want all of the different choices to "compliment" each other. Everyone said you cannot chose one specification without considering the other.
I was given the basic "rules" 32 inch tyres for small blocks without blowers, 34 inches for big block engines and small blocks on Nitromethane. 2 inches of tyre width for every 100 bhp normally aspirated, the relation of crank throw to first gear times final drive ratio, it is infact a table of numbers . . . and "if you have more than 5.5psi in the tyres it will hop like the devil when you go over the bump halfway up the right hand lane at the Pod"
Best regards
Mike

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wild Bunch Forum Archive © The Wild Bunch Nostalgia Drag Racing Club Go To Top Of Page